Vijay Mandir Palace
10km away, the royal residence, built by Maharaja Jai Singh in 1918 AD overlooks a scenic rippling lake. A splendid temple of Sita Ram is visited by devotees especially on the occasion of Ram Navami. Prior permission from the Secretary is required to visit the palace.
Siliserh Lake and Palace Hotel: It offers bewitching scenery. The twinkling ripples covering 10.5 sq km is surrounded by thick wooded hills with beautiful Chhatris on the embankment. Cradled in the hills and overlooking the lake is a magnificent royal Hunting Lodge/Place. It was built by Maharaja Vinay Singh for this queen shilla in 1845 AD. Now it has been converted as Hotel Lake Palace, a delightful spot for filmmakers and water sports enthusiast.
Jai Samand Lake
It is accessible by road as it is 6km from Alwar. It is a large artificial lake constructed by Maharaja Jai Singh in 1910. It makes an excellent picnic spot during the rainy season with beautiful lush greenery all around.
Sariska National Park
It is 37 km away; nestling in a picturesque valley of the Aravallis a forest comes to life. It pulses a beat of its own. The nature’s rhythm reveals wildlife in its own natural habitat. This sanctuary established in 1955 AD, offers an exceptional opportunity to see a variety of animals at a close range. There are tiger, Nilgai, Sambhar, cheetal, four homed antelope and wild boar. The thick forests here are the dry deciduous type and cover an area of 480 sq km. There is a spectacular palace here built by Maharaja Jai Singh in honor of the Duke of Edinburgh where he visited the sanctuary recently converted into hotel.
Once an ancient Rajput state, formerly known as Mewat, Alwar was nearest to the imperial Delhi. The people of the state did not accept any external interference’s and daringly resisted against foreign invasions. In the 12th and 13th centuries, they formed a group and raided Delhi. But finally Sultan Bulban (1267 A.D. - 1287 A.D.) suppressed them, bringing the area under the Muslims rule. In 1771 A.D. Maharaja Pratap Singh, a Kuchhwaha Rajput belonging to the clan of Jaipur’s rulers, won back Alwar and founded a principality of his own.
Although larger than Ranthambore, it is less commercialized and has less tigers but a similar topography. It covers an area of 800 sq km in total, with a core area of approximately 500 sq km. The Northern Aravalli Hills dominate the skyline with their mixture of sharp cliffs and long narrow valleys. The area was declared a sanctuary in 1955 and became a National Park in 1979.
The landscape of Sariska comprises of hills and narrow valleys of the Aravalli hill range. The topography of Sariska supports scrub-thorn arid forests, dry deciduous forests, rocks and grasses. The broad range of wildlife here is a wonderful example of ecological adoption and tolerance, for the climate here is variable as well as erratic.
It is located in the contemporary Alwar district and is the legacy of the Maharajas of Alwar. Pavilions and Temples within Sariska are ruins that hint at past riches and glory. The nearby Kankwadi Fort has a long and turbulent history.In morning and evening, wildlife in Sariska heads towards the many water holes, which litter the park, thus providing the guests with their best chance of viewing game. At some of these watering holes it is possible to book hides which are situated in prime spots for wildlife viewing.